How To Make Brown Bread at Home
Have you ever considered to bake your own bread at home? Have an item less to walk with around the grocery store? Maybe considering a healthier diet or simply prefer a fresher product than "industrial baked" bread, keep reading to learn about brown bread and how to make it.
Brown Bread is Healthier
Brown bread is one of the tastiest types of bread and since whole grains aren't discarded,the germ and bran from each grain are conserved so you're given a boost in fiber, magnesium, vitmanin E and some fatty acids.
The fiber gives your stomach a full sensation for longer, preventing you from overeating; regulates your digestive system and lowers the cholesterol. They also have a minor impact on your blood sugar, giving you easier controll over food cravings.
There are several varieties of this bread:
The Irish whole wheat bread is a type of bread that is made with stone ground whole wheat flour. This type of bread has a very nice hearty texture.
The Ideal brown bread, which is a type of bread that is made with several ingredients including: water, salt, yeast and brown meal.
Another common variety of this bread is called the New England brown bread. This type of bread has a slightly sweet flavor, and it has a dark brown color.
Homemade whole wheat bread tastes better, is healthier and you're not sold brown bread with the cheap ingrediants corporations use.
To make dark bread, you will need the following ingredients:
- one tablespoon of room temperature butter;
- one cup of pure flour, one cup of rye flour and 1 and ¼ of whole wheat flour;
- a tablespoon of kosher salt;
- a tablespoon of baking soda and one teaspoon of baking powder;
- ¼ cup of brown sugar and ½ cup of molasses;
- two cups of pure milk;
- 1/3 of a cup of cornmeal;
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon;
- ½ cup of raisins(optional).
To make this bread at home, you'll need the following tools:
- 11 clean cans( coffee cans or vegetable cans)
- Measuring spoons
- A whisk
Recipe for making this bread at home:
1. You need to preheat the oven up to 350 degrees. Take the clean coffee cans and butter them so that the bread doesn't stick.
2. Gather the milk, brown sugar and molasses and place them in a saucepan. Let the ingredients sit in low/ medium heat until the sugar dissolves; make sure to mix it with a whisk.
While you wait, in a bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together until they are evenly mixed; (the baking soda, the baking powder, the salt, the cornmeal, the cinnamon and any of the varieties of flour used.)
3. Take the dry ingredients and the milk/molasses/ brown sugar mix and fold them together. If you want to add the raisins, carefully fold them in the mixture. Note: make sure you don't whisk the ingredients together; instead, fold them over until they are totally incorporated.
4. Once you have the dough made, fill the cans with it. Then, making sure that the buttered side is down, cover the cans with aluminum foil. And place the mixture in the oven.
5. The bread is ready until a skewer comes out clean. Once you're done, let the bread cool and serve.
Note: you can make this recipe with cinnamon and raisins, but you can leave them out if want plain brown bread.